Arab Studies Institute – Research and Education Methodologies (ASI-REM)
The Arab Studies Institute – Research and Education Methodologies (ASI-REM) is an independent, non-profit research and pedagogical organisation based in Beirut, Lebanon. It seeks to promote the production and dissemination of knowledge in and about the Middle East based on an extensive network of expertise spanning the Middle East, Europe, and the United States. The breadth and depth of its resources allows ASI-REM to be on the cutting edge of pedagogical projects. As a non-profit organization, ASI-REM seeks to promote the following values as strategic objectives:
- Stimulate new approaches to pedagogy and research.
- Provide a framework where participants are part-owners of the project.
- Develop a critical vision that aims at interrogating failed approaches in the fields of pedagogy and research.
- Connect and network with like-minded organizations and groups.
- Draw on existing capacities and networks our sister organizations have developed, particularly ASI-DC (the publisher of Jadaliyya).
ASI-REM partners with and/or consults for public and private organizations in networks and projects that contribute to its mission. It has an organic relationship with the American University of Beirut, George Mason University, Georgetown University, and various other institutions in the region and beyond. It is presently extending its collaborative agreements to include civil society organizations, media organizations, and research institutes.